[ Home ] [ History ] [ Degrees ] [ Campus ] [ Contact Us ]  
 
 
Administrative Authorities
The Academic Council
Hospital
School Of Medical Science
Teaching Mode And Facilities
Library
Medical Education Unit
Quality Assurance In Medical Education
Medical Skill Center (MSC)
Financial Support For Student
Foreign Student
Extra Curricular Activities
Teachers Association
National Features
Admission Procedure
martyrs of liberation war
Journals
Notice Board
News
FAQ
 

Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College, established in the 1962, is located in the western sector of Sylhet City. Sylhet is an old city situated on the bank of the river Surma ....

 
      How to Apply
Sylhet, famous for the shrine of the celebrated saint Hazrat Shahjalal (R.), has been in the forefront India.
Modern medicine was introduced to the community by the establishment of an institutional hospital in the heart of the city in 1936 which was later upgraded to cater for the British and allied troops of Burma front in World War II. In the year 1948, the hospital was further upgraded and extended to convert it into a  medical school with appropriate teaching staff and residential accommodations in order to produce Licentiate of Medical Faculty (LMF) doctors.
Later on the Govt. decided to start a five years course leasing to MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery) degree and as such in 1962, the Sylhet Medical College come into being. The bed strength was increased to 300, The college was initially start with 27 student and was affiliated to the faculty of Medicine of Dhaka University, with the upgrading of the medical school into a medical college, the need for a larger space for housing the various departments as well as a quieter and congenial surrounding became obvious. As a result of which the present location in the western sector of the town was selected for the purpose, where the collage was finally shifted in 1969 and the bad strength was increased to 500. Since then the college has been continuing its steady progress. The number of admitted students is now 150 per year, which is the same in all the medical collage in Bangladesh. Hospital for tuberculosis and chest diseases founded in 1953, Leprosy hospital in 1962, Infectious diseases hospital in1982, are all affiliated to the college. A Nuclear Medical Center was also established within the campus in 1981. Since the liberation in 1971 there has been steady progress in many sector like accommodation of female students, establishment of coronary care unit, endoscopy unit, diarrhoeal disorder cell, establishment of department of microbiology, department of biochemistry and the department of radiotherapy. Recently department of paediatric surgery, neuro surgery and neuro medicine have also been started in the collage. Post graduate courses of various disciplines have been started in this college since 1999.

In the year 1986, the college was renamed “Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College” after late General MAG Osmani, the liberation war hero.

Since then the college has made steady forward and in time it was realized that the college was ready for greater honors for what it and already achieved during the years since its inception and particularly in view of the fact that the college used to be recognized by the GMC until its deracognition in 1972 together with other medical college in the sub-continent. In January 1993 the collage was recognized by the General Medical council of U.K. for unlimited period. We believe our students will continue to work as hard as ever to uphold this unique honor bestowed on us to enhance the prestige of this institution even further.

Link To Wikipedia for Osmani Medical College

 
Home | History |Degrees |Campus |Contact |How to Apply | Library |Foreign Student | FAQ |Web mail |Sitemap
Design & Developed By Eicra Soft Ltd.